[petsc-users] printing snes prefix with monitor

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:55:09 CDT 2016

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Blaise A Bourdin <bourdin at lsu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with 2 nested snes (i.e. SNESComputeFunction for snes1
> involves a SNESSolve for snes2).
> Each snes has a different prefix. The problem is that the SESMonitor won’t
> print the SNES prefix, so that making sense of output can be a bit tricky…
> Is there a simple way to have each snes monitor display the prefix of the
> snes it refers to? Alternatively, where in the source code is the residual
> printed during snessolve?

It would be nice to have a mode that put the prefix on the monitor line.

What we currently do is indent the subsolve. I normally make the tab level
1 greater than the enclosing solve

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Sys/PetscObjectGetTabLevel.html#PetscObjectGetTabLevel

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Sys/PetscObjectSetTabLevel.html