[petsc-users] Performance of the Telescope Multigrid Preconditioner

frank hengjiew at uci.edu
Tue Oct 4 13:13:45 CDT 2016

Hi,

This question is follow-up of the thread "Question about memory usage in
Multigrid preconditioner".
I used to have the "Out of Memory(OOM)" problem when using the
CG+Telescope MG solver with 32768 cores. Adding the "-matrap 0;
-matptap_scalable" option did solve that problem.

Then I test the scalability by solving a 3d poisson eqn for 1 step. I
used one sub-communicator in all the tests. The difference between the
petsc options in those tests are: 1 the pc_telescope_reduction_factor; 2
the number of multigrid levels in the up/down solver. The function
"ksp_solve" is timed. It is kind of slow and doesn't scale at all.

Test1: 512^3 grid points
Core#        telescope_reduction_factor        MG levels# for up/down
solver     Time for KSPSolve (s)
512             8                                                 4 /
3                                              6.2466
4096           64                                               5 /
3                                              0.9361
32768         64                                               4 /
3                                              4.8914

Test2: 1024^3 grid points
Core#        telescope_reduction_factor        MG levels# for up/down
solver     Time for KSPSolve (s)
4096           64                                               5 / 4
                                              3.4139
8192           128                                             5 /
4                                              2.4196
16384         32                                               5 / 3
                                              5.4150
32768         64                                               5 /
3                                              5.6067
65536         128                                             5 /
3                                              6.5219

I guess I didn't set the MG levels properly. What would be the efficient
way to arrange the MG levels?
Also which preconditionr at the coarse mesh of the 2nd communicator
should I use to improve the performance?

I attached the test code and the petsc options file for the 1024^3 cube
with 32768 cores.

Thank you.

Regards,
Frank