[petsc-users] snes failures

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 20 17:26:07 CDT 2016

>>> this
>>> Unfortunately, no.
>> Isn't this a 1D problem with no geometry? You should use DMDA. It would make
>> it easier.
>
> I think you misunderstood my too-short-a-comment. What I meant was
> unfortunately -snes_grid_sequence was not enough to make it converge. I went
> up to -snes_grid_sequence 10.

   Interesting. How much is the solution changing in each refinement? Is there a singularity in the solution at one end point, or elsewhere?  If you know the form of the singularity perhaps you can subtract it out from the solution (and this hence changes the function) to get a simpler problem without a singularity that Newton works better on.

   Barry

> I always use DMDA and yes, the only geometry in the problem is a straight line
> of points from -X to +X, where preferably X = infinity, but numerically of
> course not.
>>> I'm not sure what you mean here. Do you mean I should run normal newton
>>> line
>>> search snes with SNESSetNPC(snes_of_type_gs)?
>> Yes.
>
> Will do that once I get back to this next week.
>
>>> I wish it was so easy: I did try all the snes types before posting the
>>> first
>>> post. Also all KSP types. Except those that need things I don't have, of