[petsc-users] snes failures

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed May 18 13:48:52 CDT 2016

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Juha Jaykka <juhaj at iki.fi> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I'm designing a short training course on HPC, and decided to use PETSc as
> an
> example of a good way of getting things done quick, easy, and with good
> performance, and without needing to write one's own code for things like
> linear or non-linear solvers etc.
>
> However, my SNES example turned out to be problematic: I chose the (static)
> sine-Gordon equation for my example, mostly because its exact solution is
> known so it is easy to compare with numerics and also because it is, after
> all, a dead simple equation. Yet my code refuses to converge most of the
> time!
>
> Using -snes_type ngs always succeeds, but is also very slow. Any other type
> will fail once I increase the domain size from ~100 points (the actual
> number
> depends on the type). I always keep the lattice spacing at 0.1. The
> failure is
> also always the same: DIVERGED_LINE_SEARCH. Some types manage to take one
> step
> and get stuck, some types manage to decrease the norm once and then
> continue
> forever without decreasing the norm but not complaining about divergence
> either (unless they hit one of the max_it-type limits), and ncg is the
> worst
> of all: it always (with any lattice size!) fails at the very first step.
>
> I've checked the Jacobian, and I suspect it is ok as ngs converges and the
> other types except ncg also converge nicely unless the domain is too big.

Nope, ngs does not use the Jacobian, and small problems can converge with
wrong Jacobians.

Any ideas of where this could go wrong?

1) Just run with -snes_fd_color  -snes_fd_color_use_mat -mat_coloring_type
greedy and
    see if it converges.

2) Check out
http://scicomp.stackexchange.com/questions/30/why-is-newtons-method-not-converging