[petsc-users] PETSc DM ex13f90

Åsmund Ervik asmund.ervik at ntnu.no
Mon May 2 02:18:05 CDT 2016

Hi Praveen,

First of all: I'm cc-ing the petsc-users list, to preserve this
discussion also for others. And, you'll get better/quicker help by
asking the list. (Please reply also to the list if you have more questions.)

On 29. april 2016 12:15, praveen kumar wrote:
> Hi Asmund,
>
> I am trying to implement PETSc in a serial Fortran code for domain
> decomposition. I've gone through your Van der pol example. I'm confused
> about subroutines petsc_to_local and local_to_petsc. Please correct me if
> I've misunderstood something.

Good that you've found dm/ex13f90 at least a little useful. I'll try to
clarify further.

> While explaining these subroutines in ex13f90aux.F90, you have mentioned
> that "Petsc gives you local arrays which are indexed using global
> coordinates".
> What are 'local arrays' ? Do you mean the local vector which is derived
> from DMCreateLocalVector.

To answer your questions, a brief recap on how PETSc uses/stores data.
In PETSc terminology, there are local and global vectors that store your
fields. The only real difference between local and global is that the
local vectors also have ghost values set which have been gathered from
other processors after you have done DMLocalToGlobalBegin/End. There is
also a difference in use, where global vectors are intended to be used
with solvers like KSP etc.

The vectors are of a special data structure that is hard to work with
manually. Therefore we use the DMDAVecGetArray command, which gives us
an array that has the same data as the vector. The array coming from the
local vector is what I call the "local array". The point of the
petsc_to_local and local_to_petsc subroutines, and the point of the
sentence you quoted is that when PETSc gives you this array, in a
program running in parallel with MPI, the array has different indexing
on each process.

Let's think about 1D to keep it simple, and say we have 80 grid points
in total distributed across 4 processes. On the first process the array
is indexed from 0 to 19, then on the second process it is indexed from
20 to 39, third process has 40 to 59 and the fourth process has the
indices from 60 to 79. In addition, in the local array, the first
process will also have the values at index 20, 21 etc (up to the stencil
width you have specified) that belong to the second process, after you
have done DMLocatToGlobalBegin/End, but it cannot change these values.
It can only use these values in computations, for instance when
computing the value at index 19.

The petsc_to_local subroutine changes this numbering system, such that
on all processors the array is indexed from 1 to 20. This makes it
easier to use with an existing serial Fortran code, which typically does
all loops from 1 to N (and 1 is hard-coded). The local array then has
the correct ghost values below 1 and above 20, unless the array is next
to the global domain edge(s), where you must set the correct boundary
conditions.

> As far as I know, if petsc_to_local is called before a DO loop going
> from i=0, nx; then nx becomes local.

The petsc_to_local subroutine does not change the value of nx. This
value comes from DMDAGetCorners, which is called on line 87 in
ex13f90.F90. The petsc_to_local subroutine only calls DMDAVecGetArrayF90
to go from vector to array, and then changes the array indexing.

Note also that petsc_to_local assumes you want the indices to start at 1
(as is standard in Fortran). If you want them to start at 0, you must
change the array definitions for "f" and "array" in the subroutines
transform_petsc_us and transform_us_petsc,
from
  PetscReal,intent(inout),dimension(:,1-stw:,1-stw:,1-stw:) :: f
  PetscReal,intent(inout),dimension(:,0-stw:,0-stw:,0-stw:) :: f

Hope that helps,
Åsmund