[petsc-users] installing PETSc with mkl_pardiso solver

Hoffman, Galen ghoffma at sandia.gov
Thu Jun 30 16:17:46 CDT 2016

Greetings,

I have been trying to install PETSc v3.7.2 with the MKL Pardiso add-on.  I have been using the instructions at the bottom of the webpage at https://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/changes/35.html, which require setting the following options for the PETSc configuration:

--blas-lapack-dir=LOCATION_OF_INTEL_MKL
--with-mkl_pardiso-dir=LOCATION_OF_INTEL_MKL

I have installed the current Intel MKL at the default location in /opt/intel/.  This is version 11.3.3.210.

My question is to what should I set the location?  The obvious choices don't work, with the configuration failing when it checks the BLAS library:

/opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64_lin
/opt/intel/mkl/lib
/opt/intel/mkl
/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/mkl/lib/intel64_lin
/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2016.3.210/linux/mkl

It will also fail if I set --download-f2cblaslapack=1 when it checks the MKL Pardiso directory.

The error message says the following:

***************
UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log for details):
Could not find a functional BLAS. Run with --with-blas-lib=<lib> to indicate the library containing BLAS.
Or --download-f2cblaslapack=1 to have one automatically downloaded and installed

         UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log for details):
MKL_Paradiso requires Intel MKL. Please rerun configure using --with-blas-lapack-dir=LOCATION_OF_INTEL_MKL

For which specific files is configure searching?  Also, is it known whether my installed version of MKL is compatible?

Regards,

--Galen