[petsc-users] Performance of mumps vs. Intel Pardiso

Faraz Hussain faraz_hussain at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 17:39:22 CDT 2016

I am struggling trying to understand why mumps is so much slower than Intel Pardiso solver for my simple test matrix ( 3million^2 sparse symmetrix matrix with ~1000 non-zero entries per line ).

My compute nodes have 24 cpus each. Intel Pardiso solves it in in 120 seconds using all 24 cpus of one node. With Mumps I get:

24 cpus - 765 seconds
48 cpus - 401 seconds
72 cpus - 344 seconds
beyond 72 cpus no speed improvement.

I am attaching the -log_summary to see if there is something wrong in how I am solving the problem. I am really hoping mumps will be faster when using more cpus.. Otherwise I will have to abort my exploration of mumps!