[petsc-users] SetVariableBounds vs ComputeVariableBounds

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 12:37:38 CDT 2016

So I figured it out. I had to explicitly form the Tao Gradient/Constraints
and Jacobian. I couldn't just "pre-process" the gradient Vec and Jacobian
Mat through SNESComputeXXX. Attached is the updated file and makefile.

My question now is, why exactly is this the case? This preprocessing
strategy seemed to work for bounded constrained optimization solvers (e.g.,
TRON/BLMVM) but apparently not with the MCP ones. The system is linear so
my original reasoning was that the Jacobian shouldn't change, thus it just
needs to be assembled once. I recall faintly from a previous discussion
that the SNESVI solvers will vary the Mat and Vec sizes depending on the
regions that need to be "constrained" or something?

Thanks,
Justin