[petsc-users] Calculate only the diagonal elements for matrix matrix multiplications

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 22 16:01:36 CDT 2016

   Say you want to compute the diagonal of A * B where A and B are PETSc SeqAIJ matrices. If we use "MATLAB" notation A(i,:) to represent the ith row of A and B(:,j) to represent the nth column of B then you are computing  for each i A(i,:) * B(:,i) that is the ith row of A with the ith column of B.

   PETSc SeqAIJ matrices are stored "by row" and for each row is stored the column indices of the nonzeros (sorted) and the numerical values for those columns. If the nonzero structure of B is not related to the non-zero structure of A then computing the diagonal is a set of "sparse" vector vector products. Generic sparse vector vector products are never super efficient and to make matters worse with SeqAIJ we don't have stored directly the columns of B (only the rows)

  If you look at MatMatMult_SeqAIJ_SeqAIJ() you will see we have SIX implementations using different approaches to try to get reasonable performance of the sparse matrix-matrix product. So if this computation of the diagonal is an important kernel in your code (and takes significant time) then you have some work cut out for you to write the appropriate code using the SeqAIJ data structure directly. We don't provide anything out of the box for this computation. I suggest looking at the various approaches for sparse matrix matrix product and see what one looks reasonable to specialize to compute just the diagonal portion.

  Barry