[petsc-users] Does PETSc have these solvers bounded-constrained optimization problems?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jun 11 12:19:59 CDT 2016

   Justin,

For bound constrained optimization problems, there is:

 TRON -- a truncated Newton method from your favorite inventor of such methods
 BLMVM -- a limited memory quasi-Newton method for bound constraints (projected quasi-Newton)

There used to be the KT solvers that was just a wrapper around the complementarity
methods.  Jason -- what happened to this?

Anyways, from the gradient and Hessian (or Hessian vector product), you can apply the
complementarity solvers to the optimality conditions:

 ASLS -- active set family (e.g. projected newton)
 SSLS -- semismooth family

For more general constraints, there is:

 IPM -- interior-point method

I have not used it or tested it though.

For PDE constrained problems, there is:

 LCL -- linearly constrained augmented Lagrangian.

ROL has imitations either directly copied from our code or written from our papers.