[petsc-users] DMPlex import partitioned mesh

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 09:10:15 CDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Hassan Raiesi <
Hassan.Raiesi at aero.bombardier.com> wrote:

> I’m trying to adapt an in-house CFD code to use DMPlex. I wonder if there
> is an interface to import an already portioned mesh (unstructured finite
> volume) into the data structure of DMplex, (i.e a parallel reader)
>
> The problem is that the un-partitioned  mesh is often too big to be loaded
> on a single CPU and partitioned by DMplex.

Most mesh formats are not well-setup for this kind of read. We have some
experimental support for this using a very simple
format, see DMPlexCreateFromCellListParallel(). We are working on adapting
more complex formats, but figuring out the
missing information in parallel is somewhat tricky. It should be finished
by the end of the summer.