[petsc-users] no protocol specified

Bishesh Khanal bisheshkh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 11:22:12 CST 2016

Hello,
I installed petsc today in our new cluster environment, everything looked
fine except for several mpi related deprecated function warnings such as
below:

/data/asclepios/user/bkhanal/softwares/petsc/src/sys/objects/pname.c: In
function ‘PetscErrorCode PetscObjectName(PetscObject)’:
/data/asclepios/user/bkhanal/softwares/petsc/src/sys/objects/pname.c:128:12:
warning: ‘int MPI_Attr_get(MPI_Comm, int, void*, int*)’ is deprecated
(declared at /opt/openmpi/gcc/current/include/mpi.h:1227): MPI_Attr_get is
superseded by MPI_Comm_get_attr in MPI-2.0 [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
     ierr =
MPI_Attr_get(obj->comm,Petsc_Counter_keyval,(void*)&counter,&flg);CHKERRQ(ierr);

When I ran make test after installation, I got the following results:

Running test examples to verify correct installation
Using PETSC_DIR=/data/asclepios/user/bkhanal/softwares/petscInstalledDebug
and PETSC_ARCH=
Possible error running C/C++ src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 with 1 MPI
process
See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
lid velocity = 0.0016, prandtl # = 1, grashof # = 1
Number of SNES iterations = 2
Possible error running C/C++ src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19 with 2 MPI
processes
See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
lid velocity = 0.0016, prandtl # = 1, grashof # = 1
Number of SNES iterations = 2
Possible error running Fortran example src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex5f
with 1 MPI process
See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html
No protocol specified
No protocol specified
Number of SNES iterations =     4
Completed test examples

I also tested one of my codes with  this new setup. It seems to give me
correct results but the output also displays No protocol specified (twice).

Is this a mere warning or should I worry about it ?

Thanks,
Bishesh