[petsc-users] Simultaneously compute Residual+Jacobian in SNES

Derek Gaston friedmud at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 13:50:02 CST 2016

Oh man!  Sorry Barry!  I swear I looked around before I sent the email.  I
should have checked the FAQ a little more closely!

I can understand the reasoning in the FAQ... but I still wonder if it might
not be useful to provide all three options (Function, Jacobian,
FunctionJacobian).  In my case I could fill in each one to do the right
thing.  That way PETSc could call the "FunctionJacobian" one when it knew
it needed both (by default that could just farm out to the individual
calls).  But you guys have definitely thought a lot more about this than I
have.

So, do you still recommend what's suggested in the FAQ?  Save off the
Jacobian computation during the residual computation and then use that when
SNES asks for a Jacobian?  In the case of automatic differentiation this
could make a pretty huge difference in time...

Derek