[petsc-users] Question regarding updating PETSc Fortran examples to embrace post F77 constructs

Sanjay Govindjee s_g at berkeley.edu
Sat Aug 27 11:42:54 CDT 2016

Moving forward is fine.  One can always retain some fixed line examples
along side other non-fixed line examples.

-sanjay

On 8/26/16 7:54 PM, Barry Smith wrote:
>     PETSc users,
>
>      We've always been very conservative in PETSc to keep almost all our Fortran examples in a format that works with classic FORTRAN 77 constructs: fixed line format, (72 character limit) and no use of ; to separate operations on the same line, etc.
>
>     Is it time to forgo these constructs and use more modern Fortran conventions in all our examples?
>
>      Any feedback is appreciated
>
>      Barry
>
> Note: it would continue to be possible to use PETSc in the FORTRAN 77 style, this is just a question about updating the examples.

Sanjay Govindjee, PhD, PE
Horace, Dorothy, and Katherine Johnson Endowed Chair in Engineering

779 Davis Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710

Voice:  +1 510 642 6060
FAX:    +1 510 643 5264
s_g at berkeley.edu
http://www.ce.berkeley.edu/~sanjay

Books:

Engineering Mechanics of Deformable
Solids: A Presentation with Exercises
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Physics/MaterialsScience/?view=usa&ci=9780199651641
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199651641.do
http://amzn.com/0199651647

Engineering Mechanics 3 (Dynamics) 2nd Edition
http://www.springer.com/978-3-642-53711-0
http://amzn.com/3642537111

Engineering Mechanics 3, Supplementary Problems: Dynamics
http://www.amzn.com/B00SOXN8JU