[petsc-users] Question regarding updating PETSc Fortran examples to embrace post F77 constructs

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Aug 26 21:54:14 CDT 2016

   PETSc users,

    We've always been very conservative in PETSc to keep almost all our Fortran examples in a format that works with classic FORTRAN 77 constructs: fixed line format, (72 character limit) and no use of ; to separate operations on the same line, etc.

   Is it time to forgo these constructs and use more modern Fortran conventions in all our examples?

    Any feedback is appreciated

    Barry

Note: it would continue to be possible to use PETSc in the FORTRAN 77 style, this is just a question about updating the examples.