[petsc-users] Command lines to reproduce the tests of "Composing scalable nonlinear algebraic solvers"

Karin&NiKo niko.karin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 08:46:07 CDT 2016

Dear PETSc gurus,

Thanks to the help of Matthew, I have been able to reproduce in PETSc some
tests of the paper of Peter Brune et al. entitled "Composing scalable
nonlinear algebraic solvers", with special attention to the elasticity test.
I have also tried to reproduce it in a widely used mechanics finite element
solver and I cannot obtain the same results, mainly because of my lack of
undestanding of the boundary conditions and of the loading.

According to the paper, I undestand that the edges in red in the attached
image are fully clamped. If I do that, I do observe a rotation of the grey
 face (see attached image).

If I clamp the over-mentioned edges plus I forbid the normal displacement
of the grey face, I get a quite similar warped shape but the details of the
deformation near the clamped faces are very different

In the paper, the loading is defined as a volume force applied to the whole
structure whereas in Wriggers' book, it is defined as a nodal force.

Could you please give me some details on these points?

Best regards,
Nicolas