[petsc-users] DMPlex higher order elements

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Wed Aug 24 12:12:13 CDT 2016

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:
>> Yes, I do not support that since I think its a crazy way to talk about
>> things. All the topological information is in the Tri3 mesh, and
>> Cubit has no business telling me about the function space.
>>

>> Do you support / plan to support curved elements?
>>

> I had "support" in there, but there were bugs. Toby and Mark discovered
> these, and Toby has fixed them. I think
> all of the fixes are in master now.

The context is clearly that the mesh generator needs to express the
curved elements.  DMPlex doesn't have a geometric model available, so it
doesn't know how to make the Tri3 elements curve to conform more
accurately to the boundary.  The mesh generator has no business telling
you what function space to use for your solution, but it'd be a shame to
prevent it from expressing element geometry.