[petsc-users] EPS iteration number

Xujun Zhao xzhao99 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:33:35 CDT 2015

Hi Jose,

This is only a very simple test. 2 outer iterations perform 24 MatMult
operation, which means I have to solve a Finite element system with
millions of DOFs for 24 times. This is only for a polymer system with two
beads. For a polymer chain with hundreds of beads and springs, I need more
outer iterations to get its max/min eigenvalues, which means I have to
perform more computations of the finite element system. Those solves happen
only for one time step. When polymer beads move, I need to redo everything.

In other words, the eigenvalues (max and min) have to be solved every time
step or every several time steps. Therefore, it is very expensive! My
question is that if It is possible to use the eigenvalues obtained from
last time step as an initial guess to accelerate the convergence. Thank you
for your help.

Xujun