[petsc-users] conditioning of snes with dmcomposite & grid sequencing

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 13:36:57 CDT 2015

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 1:26 PM, Gideon Simpson <gideon.simpson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Got it.  I wanted to follow up on something that I had been suspicious of
> for some time.  I took my initial solution, the one which we want to apply
> grid sequencing to, and did the following.  I loved into spicy, and
> manually did grid refinement using SciPy, dumped to disk, and then ran that
> through petsc, with the refined mesh.  When I say “manual” here, I just
> mean that I called the SciPy spline interplant commands on uniform meshes
> that had twice the resolution, not that I manually picked out the
> refinement points.  When I use a linear interpolant, and run my solver on
> it, it fails miserably, just as the first grid sequence refinement does.
> The numbers are a little different, but the residuals are still O(100).
>
> If, instead, I use a second order interpolant, it solves it 11 iterations,
> wiithout a problem, and the result is physically consistent.  While this
> may be two sides of the same coin, it makes me think that the real
> challenge in my is the interpolation strategy used under grid refinement.
> Is there a way to, manually, I suppose, set the interpolation that will be
> used under the grid sequence?

Excellent! And also somewhat bizarre. This would be great to analyze. Is
there any bribe we could give you to
convert this to a real PETSc example? It would be a nice way to show that
dumping in high frequency energy
when interpolating can be bad for coupled problems.

Actual Solution: I think this will involve some coding. The quick and dirty
way is to just stick the code you want
into dainterp.c:DMCreateInterpolation_DA(). If that works, we add it to
interptype and enable it from the command
line. It would be nice to have a spline interpolant.