[petsc-users] Expressing this nonlinear system in PETSc and/or petsc4py

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 17:49:25 CDT 2015

The example I have happens to be a simple system (e.g., Na^(+) + Cl^(-) <=>
NaCl), I could potentially solve a 7 component system with 4 primary and 3
secondary species which in some cases cannot be solved analytically as
easily.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could express the example system I had as a
mixed weak/variational form. That is, multiply each equation by a test
function and solve this system as if it were a finite element problem. I
had the following weak/variational form expressed in the FEniCS/Firedrake
form:

#==========================
mesh = ...
Q = FunctionSpace(mesh, "CG", 1)
W = Q*Q*Q
dc_A,dc_B,dc_C = TrialFunctions(W)
q_A,q_B,q_C = TestFunctions(W)
c = Function(W)
c_A,c_B,c_C = c.split()

F = (q_A*(u0_A - c_A - c_C) + q_B*(u0_B - c_B - c_C) + q_C*(c_C -
c_A*c_B))*dx
J = (-q_A*(dc_A + dc_C) + q_B*(dc_B + dc_C) + q_C*(dc_C - c_B*dc_A -
c_A*dc_B))*dx

# Solve for u0_A a u0_B

solve(F == 0, c, J=J)

Where u0_A and u0_B correspond to my psi_A/B from a different function
space. However, when I solve the system, I get a DIVERGED_LINE_SEARCH. From
what I have read, it seems this error mostly arises because of an incorrect
Jacobian. But I think my Jacobian J looks correct, is it not?

Or is this even the right approach?

Thanks,
Justin