[petsc-users] Large Matrix eigenvalue problem : configuration

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 18 17:16:35 CDT 2015

> On May 18, 2015, at 5:07 PM, Alp Kalpalp <alpkalpalp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> While reading the link you gave, I have seen a strange sentence;
>
> "Otherwise you will get strange crashes."
>
> can someone explain it why?

   Integer overflow is not really handled well in software. So when you add two int numbers together (each less than the maximum value that can go into an int, but whose sum won't fit into an int) you can end up with a negative number or a much smaller positive number. The code just keeps on chugging along with these "incorrect" numbers (producing incorrect results but not necessarily crashing or providing any indication to the user that something is wrong). Eventually if you are lucky something gets so out of whack it crashes and so you know something is wrong. If you are unlucky it never crashes and you think the results are fine when they are not.

  Barry