[petsc-users] how to set the newton trust region size

Mark Lohry mlohry at princeton.edu
Sat May 16 11:15:53 CDT 2015

On 5/16/2015 10:33 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> 1) The best thing you can do for solver convergence is to start with a
> well-scaled system. Is there a reason why
> you cannot non-dimensionalize your system?

Laziness/time, but yes I'll do this. Though this is a viscous flow
solver, so any non-dimensionalization will still lead to values
differing by 5+ orders of magnitude in certain areas.

> 3) If you have constraints on the variables, you might benefit from
> using SNESVI

Perfect, thanks I wasn't aware of this. So SNESVIComputeVariableBounds
can take a function that say, prevents negative densities/pressures?

> 2) Writing a custom line search is easier than messing with TR in my
> experience

I'm interested to hear more about this. I haven't done much work with
newton methods on this type of problem where overshoots lead to fatal
errors.