[petsc-users] how to set the newton trust region size

Mark Lohry mlohry at princeton.edu
Fri May 15 18:37:43 CDT 2015

I'm having an issue with SNES where the regular newton line search
severely overshoots the solution update, ending up with irrecoverable
values (negative densities and temperatures in a fluids code), so it
seems newtonTR is a better way to go.

the manual says to set delta0 using -snes_tr_delta0, where the trust
region radius is delta = delta0 * norm2( F ). My F values aren't well
scaled and have pretty different values so norm2 of the whole thing
isn't particularly meaningful. Ideally I'd like to tell SNES to limit
the update to say, 10% of the current value of any given unknown. Is
this possible?