[petsc-users] Using matrix-free method for SNES problems with an explicit Jacobian

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 14:54:01 CDT 2015

Hello everyone,

>From what I read online, one could use a matrix-free method if using the
conjugate gradient method for a symmetric and positive definite problem.
Some of the PETSc SNES examples like ex12 compute the Jacobian A
explicitly, but I was wondering if it's possible to convert this
problem into matrix free form. That is, to directly assemble the product of
A*x into vector form without first forming A and then invoking MatMult().

Thanks,
Justin