[petsc-users] Hypre + openMP

Michele Rosso mrosso at uci.edu
Tue May 12 23:41:13 CDT 2015

Barry,

thanks for your answer. The reason I'm asking is that multigrid limits the
number of MPI tasks I can use for a given grid, since k multigrid levels
require at least 2^(k-1) grid nodes per direction. I was wondering if using
OpenMP together with MPI could help circumventing the problem. If you have
any other suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Michele

  You could compile hypre yourself with the OpenMP feature turned on and
then configure PETSc to use that version of hypre; of course the rest of
the PETSc code would not utilize the OpenMP threads.

   Barry

BTW: I don't know of any evidence that using hypre with OpenMP is superior
to using hypre without so I aside from academic curiosity I don't think
there would be a reason to do this.