[petsc-users] MatMatMult involving MPIAIJ and MATNEST

Patrick Sanan patrick.sanan at gmail.com
Mon May 11 08:21:45 CDT 2015

MatMatMult with MATNEST does not seem to be supported, based only on the
fact that there are no functions of the form MatMatMult_*_MatNest defined
with the MATNEST implementation :
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/src/mat/impls/nest/matnest.c.html

Does this operation need to be efficient? (That is, are you forming this
matrix for debugging or experimental purposes, or with the intention of
using it within an efficient, scalable piece of code?). If not, it should
be possible to use lower-level matrix operations as defined by the API to
extract the appropriately-sized submatrices from A and (assuming that
MatMatMult is defined between MATMPIAIJ and the submatrices of your
Matnest), perform the matrix multiplications and additions "by hand" .