[petsc-users] Obtaining bytes per second

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 11:00:53 CDT 2015

For clarification purposes:

1) What is the definition of "performance model" and "cache model"? I see
those two terms used in this thread but want to know the exact difference
if any.

2) Is what's described in Dinesh's paper a "cache model"?
What exactly is the caveat or what are the major assumptions that it makes?

3) Is quantifying the "useful bandwidth sustained for some level of catch"
analogous/related to cache register reuse and/or vectorization (e.g., how
well one can maximize SIMD on the machine if that makes any sense)

Thank you guys for all your help,
Justin