[petsc-users] Structured grid in DMPlex?

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 22:31:31 CDT 2015

Hello everyone,

If I know for a fact that I will be using structured grids AND still want
the DMPlex data structure, what's the best/fastest way of achieving this?
Should I:

a) Invoke DMDACreate2d(PETSC_COMM_WORLD, DM_BOUNDARY_NONE,
DM_BOUNDARY_NONE,DMDA_STENCIL_BOX,-3,-3,PETSC_DECIDE,PETSC_DECIDE,1,1,NULL,NULL,&da);
to get the parallel cell-vertex layout and (somehow) translate this into a
DMPlex?

b) Manually set the local DMPlex chart/DAG and assign the SF along the
appropriate processors?

c) Invoke some DMDA/DMPlex function or set of functions that already exist
for this purpose?

d) Something else?

I know I could just input or create a coarse DAG and invoke -dm_refine, but
I was wondering if there is an alternative to this method.

Thanks,
Justin