[petsc-users] Obtaining bytes per second

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 09:23:30 CDT 2015

So to summarize, if I understand everything, I should do the following:

1) calculate the flop/byte ratio for various problem sizes and solver
methods on one process and:

a) use the ratio to estimate the ideal flops/s based on the stream bw.
Compare this to the measured flops/s from my Petsc program?

b) show the associated wall-clock times.

c) warn that this model is uncached and merely gives a rough estimate of
the performance.

2) Do a strong-scaling/speed up study to illustrate how these problems
scale across multiple processes. Optionally see what the optimal number of
processes is required for various problem sizes and solvers.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Justin