[petsc-users] running Petsc programs without a connection.

Sanjay Kharche Sanjay.Kharche at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Mar 26 02:15:32 CDT 2015

Dear All

I have a fedora pc which some times cannot have an internet connection. I found that I can run non-Petsc MPI programs when it is not connected to the internet. However, when I try to run my Petsc based program without a connection, I get the following error. By googling a little bit, I found that the mpi launcher requires to log into each of the 4 procs the pc has, and may be using ssh. This or something else may or may not require an internet connection. In my present installation of petsc, I have downloaded and installed all required dependencies (blas, lapack, sundials) including mpich during the configure. I am using a makefile that I took from the ts examples for ex15.c where I changed the ex15 entry to sk2d (my program). I updated the petsc independent mpich to be the same version as the one I got with petsc.

Is there a way of configuring or otherwise to get Petsc programs to run when I do not have an internet connection?

the error:

mpiexec -n 3 ./sk2d
Fatal error in PMPI_Init_thread: Other MPI error, error stack:
MPIR_Init_thread(498)..............:
MPID_Init(187).....................: channel initialization failed
MPIDI_CH3_Init(89).................:
MPID_nem_init(320).................:
MPID_nem_tcp_init(171).............:
MPID_nem_tcp_get_business_card(418):
MPID_nem_tcp_init(377).............: gethostbyname failed, sanjayslaptop.maths.liv.ac.uk (errno 2)

cheers
Sanjay