[petsc-users] SLEPc - Generalized symmetric eigenproblem using ARPACK

Harshad Sahasrabudhe harshad.sahasrabudhe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 15:29:35 CDT 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to use the ARPACK interface in SLEPc for calculating smallest
eigenvalues with eigenvectors of a generalized eigenproblem. The matrices
are symmetric.

What are the suggested linear solvers/preconditioners for this type of a
system when using ARPACK? I am using shift and invert with a shift of 0.

I get a lot of spurious eigenvalues when I use GMRES linear solver or MUMPS
for LU factorization. Chebyshev doesn't seem to converge (I don't have a
good guess for the higher end of eigenvalues).

Thanks,
Harshad