[petsc-users] Column #j is wrong in parallel from message "Inserting a new nonzero (i, j) into matrix"

Eric Chamberland Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca
Wed Mar 25 13:20:37 CDT 2015

On 03/25/2015 02:06 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 1:03 PM, Eric Chamberland
> <Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca
> <mailto:Eric.Chamberland at giref.ulaval.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     while looking for where in the world do I insert the (135,9) entry
>     in my matrix, I have discovered that the column # shown is wrong in
>     parallel!
>

> We have talked about this before. It is certainly not easy. The error is
> given by the embedded serial matrix, whereas you want
> the parallel column. It would be good if we could restructure to give
> that back.

Okay!!!  I didn't knew that...

Would it be possible, in parallel, to have the column number marked by a
****** beside it with a footnote like "this is not the column number" in
the error message?  How can it help *me* to have this wrong number?
(just wasted a few hours on this this morning....)

Worded differently: if you take the time to write a message for the end
user, it is to help the programmer right?  But what does it worth if it
does not help, worst, if it mislead the programmer???

Ok, that's it for my 0.5cent...

Thanks for the answer,

Eric