[petsc-users] Fast LU solver for block diagonal matrix

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 18 14:22:16 CDT 2015

  Do you want to explicitly compute (as a matrix) S = Joo - joe * inv(Jee) jeo   or do you want to just have an efficient computation of
S y  for any y vector?

  Here is some possibly useful information. If you create Jee as a BAIJ matrix of block size 5 and use MatILUFactor() it will efficiently factor this matrix (each 5 by 5 block factorization is done with custom code) then you can use MatSolve() efficiently with the result (note that internally when factoring a BAIJ matrix PETSc actually stores the inverse of the diagonal blocks so in your case the MatSolve() actually ends up doing little matrix-vector products (and there are no triangular solves).

  To use this with the MatCreateSchurComplement() object you can do

   MatCreateSchurComplement(...,&S)
   MatSchurComplementGetKSP(S,&ksp)
   KSPSetType(ksp,KSPPREONLY);

   now MatMult(S,y,z) will be efficient.

   Of course you still have the question, how do you plan to solve S? This depends on its structure and if you have a good way of preconditioning it.

   If you want to explicitly form S you can use MatMatSolve( fact,jeo) but this requires making jeo dense which seems to defeat the purpose.

  Barry