[petsc-users] Near nullspace for preconditioners other than GAMG?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 7 17:52:20 CST 2015

> On Mar 7, 2015, at 5:27 PM, David Knezevic <david.knezevic at akselos.com> wrote:
>
> OK, thanks for letting me know.
>
> I've tried GAMG and ML with MatNullSpaceCreateRigidBody and those both work well for me. (I tried ML after Jed pointed out that ML also uses the near nullspace.)
>
> I have also tried hypre but the convergence hasn't been as good for the elasticity models I've been using, though I may not have been setting the hypre options in an optimal way for elasticity.
>
> Another situation I've been meaning to ask about: If the elasticity model includes some "near rigid" regions (very high Young's modulus) all iterative solvers I've tried fare poorly. I guess it's because the highly contrasting stiffnesses give a large condition number. Is there a standard way to get the preconditioner compensate for this?

  Off the top of my head:   a "domain decomposition" answer might be to use a sparse direct solver on that region; of course how to tie that into the rest of the regions and the iterative solver is a broad question.

   Maybe in the context of AMG all the nodes in that region could be retained in the coarser grids (assuming it is a relatively small part of the domain) and so all those points end up in the coarse grid which is solved with a sparse direct solver?  We don't currently have an interface for you to indicate nodes you want to keep in the coarse grid; Mark would have know if this makes any sense at all.

   Barry