[petsc-users] A very strange bug about using multiple KSPs

Sun, Hui hus003 at ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 3 10:15:23 CST 2015

Dave, thank you for your suggestions. I don't have a debugger, and I think without debugger we can still figure out if a function is called or not.

Putting the print commend before or after PetscFunctionBeginUser doesn't really matter. I just tried to put it after PetscFunctionBeginUser, but something doesn't print just doesn't print.

There are other ways to see that computeMatrix1 is not called. For example, I just change b1 to a vector of 1's, and b2 to a vector of 0.5's, and ComputeMatrix1 to give diagonal matrix with entries 1, and  ComputeMatrix2 to give diagonal matrix with entries 2.

Then I output the matrices and the vectors into a file, and visualize them in MATLAB. It does show me that the ksp1 and ksp2 both use ComputeMatrix2; while the ksp1 uses the rhs b1, and the ksp2 uses the rhs b2. This is not expected because I've set ksp1 to use ComputeMatrix1 before:

    ierr = KSPSetComputeOperators(ksp1,ComputeMatrix1,NULL);CHKERRQ(ierr);

    ierr = KSPSetComputeOperators(ksp2,ComputeMatrix2,NULL);CHKERRQ(ierr);

Now if I comment out the lines

    ierr = KSPSetComputeOperators(ksp2,ComputeMatrix2,NULL);CHKERRQ(ierr);

and

    ierr = KSPSolve(ksp2,b2,x2);CHKERRQ(ierr);

Then ksp1 start to use ComputeMatrix1, as can be visualized from both the output file and the terminal print. So it shows me that there are some crosstalk between ksp1 and ksp2. If I set

    ierr = KSPSetComputeOperators(ksp1,ComputeMatrix1,NULL);CHKERRQ(ierr);

ksp1 uses ComputeMatrix1. But if I set

    ierr = KSPSetComputeOperators(ksp1,ComputeMatrix1,NULL);CHKERRQ(ierr);

    ierr = KSPSetComputeOperators(ksp2,ComputeMatrix2,NULL);CHKERRQ(ierr);

ksp1 uses ComputeMatrix2.