[petsc-users] Parallel efficiency of the gmres solver with ASM

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 25 17:33:33 CDT 2015

> On Jun 25, 2015, at 3:48 PM, Lei Shi <stoneszone at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Justin,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. I will test it asap.
>
> Another thing confusing me is the wclock time with 2 cores is almost the same as the serial run when I use asm with sub_ksp_type gmres and ilu0 on subdomains. Serial run takes 11.95 sec and parallel run takes 10.5 sec. There is almost no speedup at all.

   On one process ASM is ilu(0), so the setup time is one ILU(0) factorization of the entire matrix. On two processes the ILU(0) is run on a matrix that is more than 1/2 the size of the matrix; due to the overlap of 1. In particular for small problems the overlap will pull in most of the matrix so the setup time is not 1/2 of the setup time of one process. Then the number of iterations increases a good amount in going from 1 to 2 processes. In combination this means that ASM going from one to two process requires one each process much more than 1/2 the work of running on 1 process so you should not expect great speedup in going from one to two processes.