[petsc-users] move from KSPSetNullSpace to MatSetNullSpace

Stephan Kramer s.kramer at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Jun 23 07:42:01 CDT 2015

>> On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Stephan Kramer <s.kramer at
>>> imperial.ac.uk>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Dear petsc devs

>>> I can understand that this is inconsistent (we have not really thought of
>>> good way to make this consistent). However, does
>>> this produce the wrong results? If A has a null space, won't you get the
>>> same answer by attaching it to P, or am I missing the
>>> import of the above example?
>>>

>> Attaching the nullspace to P means it will be applied in the PCKSP solve as
>> well - which in this case is just a mass matrix solve which doesn't
>> have a nullspace. I was under the impression that removing a nullspace in
>> a solve
>> where the matrix doesn't having one, would lead to trouble - but I'm happy
>> be told wrong.
>>

> I guess I was saying that this solve is only applied after a system with
> that null space,
> so I did not think it would change the answer.
>
>   Thanks,
>
>      Matt

Sorry if we're talking completely cross-purposes here: but the pcksp
solve (that doesn't actually have a nullspace) is inside a solve that
does have a nullspace. If what you are saying is that applying the
nullspace inside the pcksp solve does not affect the outer solve, I can
only see that if the difference in outcome of the pcksp solve (with or
without the nullspace) would be inside the nullspace, because such a
difference would be projected out anyway straight after the pcksp solve.
I don't see that this is true however. My reasoning is the following:

Say the original PCKSP solve (that doesn't apply the nullspace) gets
passed some residual r from the outer solve, so it solves:

   Pz=r

where P is our mass matrix approximation to the system in the outer
solve, and P is full rank. Now if we do remove the nullspace during the
pcksp solve, effectively we change the system to the following:

   NM^{-1}P z = NM^{-1}r

where M^{-1} is the preconditioner inside the pcksp solve (assuming
left-preconditiong here), and N is the projection operator that projects
out the nullspace. This system is now rank-deficient, where I can add:

   z -> z + P^{-1}M n

for arbitrary n in the nullspace.

So not only is the possible difference between solving with or without a
nullspace not found in that nullspace, but worse, I've ended up with a
preconditioner that's rank deficient in the outer solve.

I've experimented with the example I described before with the Schur
complement of a Stokes velocity,pressure system on the outside using
fgmres and the viscosit scaled pressure mass matrix as preconditioner
which is solved in the pcksp solve with cg+sor. With petsc 3.5 (so I can
still use KSPSetNullSpace) if I set a nullspace only on the outside ksp,
or if I set it both on the outside ksp and the pcksp sub_ksp, I get
different answers (and also a different a number of iterations). The
difference in answer visually looks like some grid scale noise that
indeed could very well be of the form of a constant vector multiplied by
an inverse mass matrix.

If you agree that applying the nullspace inside the pcksp indeed gives
incorrect answers, I'm still not clear how I can set this up using
MatSetNullSpace only.

Cheers
Stephan