[petsc-users] Petsc and cmake

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Jun 21 20:41:25 CDT 2015

Michele Rosso <mrosso at uci.edu> writes:

> Hi Jed,
>
> thank you for your reply.
> So basically I should use PETSC_COMPILER to check against the system
> compiler and proceed only if they match, correct?
>
> Also, I attached the output of cmake and FindPETSc.cmake: it complains
> that PETSc requires extra include paths and explicit linking to all
> dependencies.
> Despite that, I can compile and run my correctly. Should I worry about
> it?

No, it probably means you have some or all static libraries.  It's only
a showstopper if you are building for an environment that prohibits
overlinking (like some Linux distros).  For private users, it's rarely
an issue.

> Finally, is there a way to retrieve the compiler flags I use to build
> PETSc?

Not at this time and there is no single set of flags.  If you just want
all the PETSc makefile variables, include the makefile.  CMake users
normally want firm insulation from the flags used to build the package
(it gets hokey at times, but it's what they ask for and what they
expect).  I would not be opposed if you want to create CMake variables
for those flags (but be sure to namespace completely and accurately).