[petsc-users] Accessing 'halo' matrix entries?

Oliver Henrich ohenrich at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Thu Jun 11 09:40:53 CDT 2015

Dear Matt,

Thanks for your quick response.

The way I understand it is that I can only modify the halo of a vector, which is simply copied from the other side of the mesh, but matrices don’t actually have halo entries or the like.

I am not sure the solution to this problem is simply adding the difference dpsi at one boundary only and not subtracting it at the other side. This would mean that at one side you have periodicity plus the added difference, whereas at the other side you just have periodicity. Sounds like it leads to a kind of discontinuity.

It is also not possible to just add it at the end. It had to be added at every step during the iteration process.

Would it be possible to model the halo region explicitly by adding two additional points at the leftmost and rightmost boundary, but only on the processes with minimal and maximal Cartesian rank along this dimension where the jump occurs? Then I could modify the matrix and rhs and impose the constraint directly.

Best wishes and many thanks for your help,
Oliver