[petsc-users] GAMG

Young, Matthew, Adam may at bu.edu
Wed Jun 10 16:02:14 CDT 2015

Jed,
When expanding the LHS, the anti-symmetric kappa terms cause mixed second-order derivatives to cancel, leaving n[\partial_{xx} + \partial_{yy} + (1+\kappa^2)\partial_{zz}]\phi + lower-order terms. Since n (density) and kappa are non-negative, I thought this would mean the operator is still elliptic. You're right that there is unavoidable anisotropy in the direction of the magnetic field.

Mark,
I'll look for that Trottenberg, et al. book. Thanks for the reference. Regarding the manual, the last sentence of the first paragraph in "Trouble shooting algebraic multigrid methods" says "-pc_gamg_threshold 0.0 is the most robust option ... and is recommended if poor convergence rates are observed, ..." but the previous sentence says that setting x=0.0 in -pc_gamg_threshold x "will result in ... generally worse convergence rates." This seems to be a contradiction. Can you clarify?

--Matt
Matthew Young
Graduate Student
Boston University Dept. of Astronomy