[petsc-users] Petsc Binary Write - Memory

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 08:37:22 CDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:32 AM, venkatesh g <venkateshgk.j at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The size of the matrix is 84500 x 84500
>
> the no. of non-zero elements is 2.7338e+09

This matrix is not sparse, it has 40% fill. You should treat it as dense.
For dense matrices of this size,
you should consider using Elemental. We have an interface to Elemental in
PETSc.

I recommend writing the code to create these entries on the fly since it
will probably be faster than loading
them from disk.