[petsc-users] Modified Taylor-Hood elements with piece-wise constant pressure for Stokes equation

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 07:14:06 CDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 6:13 AM, Justin Chang <jychang48 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In FEniCS's Stokes example (example 19), one defines the Taylor-Hood
> function spaces with these three lines:
>
> V = VectorFunctionSpace(mesh, "CG", 2)
> Q = FunctionSpace(mesh, "CG", 1)
> W = V * Q
>
> To implement P2/(P1+P0), all we gotta do is this:
>
> V = VectorFunctionSpace(mesh, "CG", 2)
> Q = FunctionSpace(mesh, "CG", 1)
> P = FunctionSpace(mesh, "DG", 0)
> W = V * (Q + P)

So here you would need 4 dual basis vectors, which I am assuming are:

  ev_(-1, -1), ev_(1, -1), ev_(-1, 1), ev_(-0.5, -0.5)

where ev_(x, y) is the point evaluation functional at (x, y). Then you need
some basis for the primal space, which naively is

  1, x, y, 1

As you can see, this basis in linearly dependent, so the Vandermonde matrix
that FIAT constructs will be singular. The construction of a nodal basis
will fail.

So Jed's question is, what are they actually doing internally?