[petsc-users] DMDAGetElements returns unexpected values

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 15 19:19:42 CDT 2015

  Mikhail

DMDAGetElements - Gets an array containing the indices (in local coordinates)
                 of all the local elements

  Since it returns the "local indices" of the vertices of the elements it does not make sense for a stencil width of zero (with parallel DMDA) since the vertex of the last element on each process is actually owned by the next process so it is a ghost vertex on the process but with a stencil width of zero there are no ghost vertices hence no "local index" to represent that vertex.

  I have changed the code to return an error instead of "garbage" values if the stencil width is zero.

  So you should just use a stencil width of 1 if you want to do finite elements (or finite differences actually also :-). Stencil width of 0 is only for strange situations and doesn't make much sense for PDEs.

  Thanks for reporting the problem.

  Barry