[petsc-users] Is fieldsplit suitable for compressible Navier-Stokes?

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Jul 7 11:31:57 CDT 2015

Song Gao <song.gao2 at mail.mcgill.ca> writes:

> Dear PETSc users,
>
> We are solving a FEM compressible Navier-Stokes problem. The unknowns are
> arranged as [ rho1, rho1*u1, rho1*v1, rho1*w1, e1, .....  ]. We are using
> ASM+ILU(0) but  I'm playing with fieldsplit preconditioner to assess its
> advantages. After some search, I found most of the fieldsplit examples are
> for Stockes flows or incompressible Navier-Stokes. Is there any
> compressible Navier-Stokes example?

There is not an example.  For low-Mach compressible, it's common to use
a preconditioner that involves a change to primitive variables and
approximate Schur complement in the pressure space.  For transonic or
supersonic flows, the equations are rather strongly coupled and
fieldsplit tends to be ineffective.  For such problems, it's common to
use ASM or geometric multigrid with point-block smoothers.