[petsc-users] Refinement, interpolation, and auxiliary data

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 03:06:45 CST 2015

Hi all,

I have a few simple questions regarding DMPlex mesh refinement,
interpolation, and auxiliary data:

1) What exactly does DMPlexSetRefinementUniform do? Is it relevant only for
the DMPlexCreateBoxMesh() function?

2) When I interpolate a given DMPlex mesh, what becomes of the "boundary"
edge/face labels and/or IDs? That is, say if I had a 2D simplex element on
the boundary domain and two of its vertices are assigned different marker
ID's and/or labels, what will become of those intermediate mesh point(s)
become?

3) If I have highly heterogeneous diffusivity or permeability (e.g., random
permeability or a marmousi
<http://www.caam.rice.edu/~benamou/OLD/marmousi.html>data set) that need to
be read in as auxiliary coefficients, would I need to manually interpolate
the data for the intermediate mesh points before I project the field into
the FE space, or does PETSc have an ability somewhere to automatically
interpolate these values for you?

Thanks,
Justin