[petsc-users] PAPI availability

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 10:08:24 CST 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Justin Chang <jychang48 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Matt, thank you for the response.
>
> For flop monitoring, are they hardware counts or manually counted? That
> is, would the flops documented by PETSc be affected by overhead factors
> like memory bandwidth, latency, etc, thus potentially giving you "poor
> efficiency" with respect to the theoretical performance?

Its always best to look at the code. Here is the event creation

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/17ccb9bd50733b8f00ffcc6fc4ee6e9be3a3168d/src/sys/logging/plog.c?at=master#cl-211

This measures 'flops', not 'flops/s'.

> Also, are these flops the flops noted in -log_summary?

Here is the log_summary code:

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/17ccb9bd50733b8f00ffcc6fc4ee6e9be3a3168d/src/sys/logging/utils/eventlog.c?at=master#cl-661

so we are using the PAPI count instead of our manual count in log_summary.

I am not sure what you mean about overheads. Memory bandwidth, cache usage,
machine latency, etc. are not overheads, they are how
the machine functions. They are reasons you might not obtain the floating
point peak.