[petsc-users] MUMPS causing segmentation fault

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sat Feb 7 12:43:14 CST 2015

>    Each version of external packages generally work with a very
>    limited (often one) version of other external packages, hence using
>    --download-xxx for everything is the way to go since we have tested
>    them in this combination. "Hoping" that different versions randomly
>    put together is just a waste of time.

In this particular case, upstream makes releases that don't fix known
bugs for which test cases and patches have been submitted.
Consequently, some projects find it necessary to maintain patched
versions, and those patches need to be rebased onto each upstream
release.  Meanwhile, the features going into upstream are rarely
interesting, so it may not be a first priority.