[petsc-users] Large rectangular Dense Transpose multiplication with sparse

Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 6 10:04:40 CST 2015

Ghosh:

>    Thanks for the suggestion of Elemental. However I need to have the
> dense matrix have the same parallel communicator as the sparse matrix.
> If I use elemental, then the numbering changes, will I be able to multiply
> with the sparse matrix which has a different numbering scheme and
> communicator?
>
> In any case I would want the resultant matrices A and M to be elemental
> type since I need to solve a dense eigenvalue problem.

If your final goal is solving a  dense eigenvalue problem, and the only
sparse matrix is a banded matrix H, Elemental is a suitable package.

I just added HermitianGenDefiniteEig() into petsc(master)-elemental(v0.84)
interface and tested on some large matrices - seems quite efficient. You
may take a look at ~petsc(master)/src/mat/examples/tests/ex174.cxx

I'm not sure if the latest Elemental supports banded dense matrix - if not,
ask Jack to added :-)

Hong