[petsc-users] Field Split PC for Fully-Coupled 3d stationary incompressible Navier-Stokes Solution Algorithm

Fabian Gabel gabel.fabian at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 14:34:41 CST 2015

Thank you for pointing me into the right direction. After some first
tests on a test case with 2e6 cells (4dof) I could measure a slight
improvement (25%) with respect to wall time, using a nested
field split for the velocities:

-coupledsolve_pc_type fieldsplit
-coupledsolve_pc_fieldsplit_0_fields 0,1,2
-coupledsolve_pc_fieldsplit_1_fields 3
-coupledsolve_pc_fieldsplit_type schur
-coupledsolve_pc_fieldsplit_block_size 4
-coupledsolve_fieldsplit_0_ksp_converged_reason
-coupledsolve_fieldsplit_1_ksp_converged_reason
-coupledsolve_fieldsplit_0_ksp_type gmres
-coupledsolve_fieldsplit_0_pc_type fieldsplit
-coupledsolve_fieldsplit_0_pc_fieldsplit_block_size 3
-coupledsolve_fieldsplit_0_fieldsplit_0_pc_type ml
-coupledsolve_fieldsplit_0_fieldsplit_1_pc_type ml
-coupledsolve_fieldsplit_0_fieldsplit_2_pc_type ml

Is it normal, that I have to explicitly specify the block size for each
fieldsplit?

I attached the results (-converged_reason only for readability and another file
solely for the output of -ksp_view). I am not sure if this result could
be improved by modifying any of the solver options.

Are there any guidelines to follow that I could use to avoid taking wild
guesses?

> Petsc has some support to generate approximate pressure schur
> complements for you, but these will not be as good as the ones
> specifically constructed for you particular discretization.

I came across a tutorial (/snes/examples/tutorials/ex70.c), which shows
2 different approaches:

1- provide a Preconditioner \hat{S}p for the approximation of the true
Schur complement

2- use another Matrix (in this case its the Matrix used for constructing
the preconditioner in the former approach) as a new approximation of the
Schur complement.

Speaking in terms of the PETSc-manual p.87, looking at the factorization
of the Schur field split preconditioner, approach 1 sets \hat{S}p while
approach 2 furthermore sets \hat{S}. Is this correct?

> [2] If you assembled a different operator for your preconditioner in
> which the B_pp slot contained a pressure schur complement
> approximation, you could use the simpler and likely more robust option
> (assuming you know of a decent schur complement approximation for you
> discretisation and physical problem)

> -coupledsolve_pc_type fieldsplit
> -coupledsolve_pc_fieldsplit_type MULTIPLICATIVE
>
> which include you U-p coupling, or just
>
> -coupledsolve_pc_fieldsplit_type ADDITIVE
>

> which would define the following preconditioner
>
> inv(B) = diag( inv(B_uu,) , inv(B_vv) , inv(B_ww) , inv(B_pp) )

What do you refer to with "B_pp slot"? I don't understand this approach
completely. What would I need a Schur complement approximation for, if I
don't use a Schur complement preconditioner?

> Option 2 would be better as your operator doesn't have an u_i-u_j, i !
> = j coupling and you could use efficient AMG implementations for each
> scalar terms associated with u-u, v-v, w-w coupled terms without
> having to split again.
>
> Also, fieldsplit will not be aware of the fact that the Auu, Avv, Aww
> blocks are all identical - thus it cannot do anything "smart" in order
> to save memory. Accordingly, the KSP defined for each u,v,w split will
> be a unique KSP object. If your A_ii are all identical and you want to
> save memory, you could use MatNest but as Matt will always yell out,
> "MatNest is ONLY a memory optimization and should be ONLY be used once
> all solver exploration/testing is performed".

Thanks, I will keep this in mind. Does this mean that I would only have
to assemble one matrix for the velocities instead of three?

>         - A_pp is defined as the matrix resulting from the
>         discretization of the
>         pressure equation that considers only the pressure related
>         terms.
>

> Hmm okay, i assumed for incompressible NS the pressure equation
>
> that the pressure equation would be just \div(u) = 0.

Indeed, many finite element(!) formulations I found while researching use
this approach, which leads to the block A_pp being zero. I however use a
collocated finite volume formulation and, to avoid checkerboarding of the
pressure field, I deploy a pressure weighted interpolation method to
approximate the velocities surging from the discretisation of \div{u}.
This gives me an equation with the pressure as the dominant variable.