[petsc-users] Transient FEM diffusion

Justin Chang jychang48 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 13:43:38 CST 2015

Hi all,

Are there any any TS examples or tests for FEM using DMPlex? I want to
solve a transient diffusion problem of the form below:

du/dt = div[grad[u]] + f

using backward euler method. I am curious as to how to implement this,
namely into the pointwise functions. Working off of SNES ex12, if I
understand this correctly, would I do something like the following:

1) Modify the f0 function such that f0[0] = u_t[0] + <forcing function>
2) Add a g0_uu function such that g0[0] = 1.0
3) Setup the TS solver in the main function

Am I missing something crucial here, or am I kind of along the right track?

Thanks,
Justin